As Christmas is just a few days away, I thought I’d take a few moments to list my favorite Christmas movies with the hopes that you might be intrigued enough to watch one or two of them.
Just a quick note before I get started with my list, I like old movies. By old movies, I don’t mean movies from the 90’s, I mean old movies from the days when color was rare. Now one to the list:
- A Christmas Carol (1938 version): With Ann Rutherford as the spirit of Christ Past, it’s a winner.
- Christmas in Connecticut: With Barbara Stanwyck how could you go wrong?
- It happened on 5th Avenue: Millionaires posing as a tramp, always a good laugh and also a heartwarming story.
- Remember the night: Another Barbara Stanwyck movie.
- Miracle on 34th St (1947 version): What needs to be said about this movie? It’s the original and is a lot more fun than the remake.
- Holiday Affair: A good movie, if a bit drawn out.
- White Christmas: A Christmas musical with WWII playing a part, just an all around good movie.
One other Christmas movie that everyone raves about is ‘It’s a wonderful life’. I don’t really care for that movie that much, it’s not bad, just not my favorite. One thing that ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ has going for it is that it’s so out dated it’s funny. Imagine anyone getting thrown in jail for losing $8000 bucks? In this day and age such a small lose wouldn’t even get noticed. Now if you factor in inflation I’m sure it would be a much larger amount, the only difference would be he’d be given a job in the Federal Reserve.
The last movie I’d like to mention is Holiday Inn, it’s considered a Christmas movie, even though most of the movie takes place during the rest of the year.
Thanks for reading, I hope you might try one or more of these movies and discover a new favorite.
Feel free to leave any comments below, I enjoy hearing from you!